- Junior or senior class standing
- Current enrollment in or completion of third business course
- National minimum standard GPA (on a 4.0 scale): 3.5 in business classes; 3.0 overall. Local chapters may raise GPA requirements
- Selection by local membership committee
- All business education teachers in the school must be current NBEA members
- Charter Fee: $100
- Annual Renewal Fee: $50
Public or independent secondary schools offering business curriculum reflective of the National Standards for Business Education shall be eligible to apply for a local chapter charter. The school must be located in the United States of America, its territories, or Canada. All business education teachers in the secondary school where the chapter is located must maintain current and continuous professional membership in NBEA. Failure to do so will result in charter revocation.